Monday, July 6, 2015

Is one better... ???

I've had many opportunities to teach throughout my life. I have also had countless opportunities to be taught.  I feel fairly qualified in my ability to determine an effective teacher for me vs. an ineffective teacher. I know the types of teachers that I connect with and I can almost instantly know if my time spent learning will be tedious or enjoyable. But other than my own personal feelings about the type of  teaching style motivates me to learn, what is the more general idea of a good teacher. I've been told over and over again throughout my college career that good teaching is more about the way a student learns than it is about how one teaches. So how does one individual teacher, teach a classroom of students that all learn differently?  In reading about the different approaches to teaching, I am no closer to determining a general description of an effective teacher for all students universally. 

These are the three (general) approaches to teaching I've been familiarizing myself with:
    The Executive:  To me this style of teaching reminds me of my fourth grade teacher. He was the "authority" on all things that 9-year-olds should know.  He always came to class wearing a tie and suit jacket. Class always started on time and we worked according to a pre-set schedule. I don't remember it exactly, but I do remember that there was a time for math, a time for science, a time for reading and so on.  It felt very structured. Time in class was filled with lectures and handouts and assignments.  Homework was assigned everyday and collected on time the next day. Most of the teachers in my elementary years, approached the classroom setting in this way.  
    The Facilitator: If I had to pick one to teach me, this guy would be the one.  This approach to teaching finds ways of connecting to his students on a more meaningful and relevant level than just stating the facts from a textbook.  By attaching student experiences to the topic, this type of instruction captures the learner and instantly makes learning more personal. Because this approach focuses on the student, the teacher also comes across as having a personal relationship with each of his students in which he believes they have great potential and can succeed in whatever environment they are in.
    The Liberationist: When I try to picture the type of teacher that takes this approach, I again go to stereotypes.  I believe that Robin Williams portrayed this type of teaching method in the film Dead Poet's Society.  Here was a teacher that encouraged the students to think for themselves and to explore all the possibilities, rather than just accept the common.  This approach teaches in "questions" and expects the answers to be discussed and debated. His job is to open up the minds of the students to allow them to explore the answers not written in the books. 

I don't think that anyone way is the absolute "right" way to teach. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there is a need for all of them and sometimes they need to be combined and mixed together. My most effective teacher didn't follow a set pattern or rule for teaching. He had qualities and traits and methods that were pulled from each of the above approaches. I think that the best approach is a personal collection of the teacher's experiences and then she must evaluate the students she is teaching and if need be adapt to meet the needs of the individual learning styles.  There is not just three approaches to teaching... I would argue that the number of approaches to teaching are infinite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment